Are you organised for 2019? I’ve got the best calendar for that.
I love to get an idea of my year ahead: what jobs I’ve got booked, whether assignments, my own stock shooting trips, presentations, as well as how much time I need to set aside for pre- and post-production for each.
When I can see at a glance what my year ahead looks like, I can pace things, avoid pile-ups and double bookings. I can plan personal stuff and just generally have more piece of mind.
Unfortunately, you cannot buy a year-at-a-glance wall calendar in Australia. At least, not like the great ones you can get in the USA with the really functional layout.
So a few years ago, after futile searching, I decided to make my own. It turned out to be so simple, so perfect, that I’ve made them every year since.
- Print out 12 months on single sheets of A5 paper.
- Loosely tape them together. You can end up with one chart with all 12 months, but I prefer to have two 6-month sections.
- Get the sections laminated at Officeworks or elsewhere.
- Tape them to your wall where you can see them from your desk.
- I use coloured Sharpie pens, using Green for personal stuff, Blue for business. And other colours for whatever, like my birthday!
- You can easily wipe off the writing with methylated spirits.
- You can stick post-it notes all over the calendar and move them around.
I particularly love to calendarize what I call “self-assignments” otherwise personal shooting has a way of never happening. Having this format for my year-at-a-glance has worked for well for me, I thought others might be interested too.